Pendulums are often used as tools for spiritual healing and inner growth. Defined as objects attached at the end of a string or metal chain, when suspended from a stationary position, a pendulum will swing back and forth or in a circular motion.
The typical image of a pendulum is that of an object with four metal balls, such as that on an employee's desk, also known as Newton's pendulum. Alternatively, the image of a pendulum watch clock swinging back and forth may ring a bell.
What Are Pendulums Made of? How Are They Made?
Pendulums are made from a variety of materials including crystals, wood, glass, and metals.
The general consensus within the healing community is that using a wooden pendulum on a thread is the preferred option for receiving the greatest clarity. This is because both crystals, gemstones, and metals tend to absorb energies which could cloud or influence information.
How Pendulums Help With Healing
Pendulums promote healing with the process of Dowsing which seeks out invisible energies. This connects people to higher energies spiritually and can help locate any blocks in energy.
They are used as a form of reflection by asking questions to receive guidance, awareness, and understanding.
Balancing one's chakras is also possible with pendulums, as pendulums tend to pick up on subtle vibrations to clear the body and balance mind, body, and spirit.
Thus, pendulum objects can help relieve forms of pain whether emotional or physical. To this end, it's important when using a crystal pendulum to choose a method of cleansing or clearing a crystal prior to the divination session, whether it be for healing or dowsing for answers.
How to Use a Pendulum
Holistic healers use a pendulum for measuring energy fields or as a dowsing tool for divination purposes.
- Choosing a Pendulum: It is important to allow a pendulum to choose you, rather than the other way around. Choosing a pendulum in person is the best way to realize which one catches the eye.
- Touching it and feeling a temperature change or a subtle vibration may mean it is the lucky one. If the way it looks and feels seems right, then it's the one.
- Cleansing the Pendulum: Cleansing the pendulum can be done by holding it under running cold tap water, soaking it in sea salt, or setting a mental intention to free it of possible picked up energies. After cleansing the pendulum, carry it around with you to see how it feels.
- Understand the Directional Swings: Pendulums swing in vertical straight lines, horizontal straight lines, and in circular movements. This can be done side-by-side, front and back, clockwise, counterclockwise, in an elliptical motion, or even in a bobbing movement up and down, which often indicates a strong affirmative action.
- Define the Directional Swings: Assign each directional swing a "response" by first asking the pendulum to show you what certain responses look like. For example, start off by asking, "What does a NO look like?" and subsequently, "What does a YES look like?" Posing these questions to your pendulum will help define directional swings, which must happen before advancing to more challenging questions.
- Pendulum Response Examples:
- Vertical swing signifies NO
- Horizontal swing signifies YES
- Circular movement signifies NEUTRAL
Good Question Example:
- Prepare Questions: A question should be one that can be answered with a positive, negative or neutral response.
Poor Question Example:
- "Will I be offered the job I interviewed for this morning?"
- Will my pregnant cousin deliver a boy or girl?"
- Set Intentions: It is imperative to precede the question session with a prayerful request or statement. For example, that may be as simple as saying something along the lines of, "It is my intention to receive truthful answers which will serve the good of all concerned."
- Questions to Ask Before and ?Between the Next: Be prepared to ask several questions in order to receive enough information to aid in the quest for thorough answers. Make sure to completely stop any pendulum motion between questions to clear any lingering energies that pertain to the previous question.
Tips When Using a Pendulum
- Before practicing these exercises, ensure the following materials are included:
- Intentional Mind Set
- Pendulum Charts (optional)
- Accept information only if your instincts assure you it is accurate.
- Keep a notebook handy to write down any questions and the pendulum's response.
- Each pendulum may have a different response. Likewise, each person must establish their own directional swings before using a pendulum.
- Make sure that your pendulums have been cleared of any negative energies before and after each use.
Disclaimer: The information contained on this site is intended for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for advice, diagnosis or treatment by a licensed physician. You should seek prompt medical care for any health issues and consult your doctor before using alternative medicine or making a change to your regimen.